What were AIC Innovation Clinics?
Innovation Clinics, previously known as TechClinics, were initiatives that assisted the development of innovation and technology in SMEs through targeted collaborative R&D projects with the research sector.
Through the pre-selection of a strategically important issue for a firm, or a group of firms in an industry sector or networked value chain, Innovation Clinics assisted participants in understanding the issue, identifying opportunities and implementing innovative solutions from within their organisations and firms.
In their simplest form, AIC Innovation Clinics promoted the adoption of innovation and technology to solve problems for firms, and build new industry value chains and networks.
Why an AIC Innovation Clinic?
Across various industries and industry sectors, Innovation Clinics assisted in the development and maintenance of deeper, more robust linkages between technology end-users, researchers, industry and government.
Using its proven Innovation Clinic Delivery Procedure, AIC Innovation Clinics achieved this by:
- Promoting awareness of solutions that may require application of alternative technologies or R&D outcomes;
- Increasing industry capability to develop and utilise technology;
- Improving uptake of technology to increase industry productivity and sustainability in new and expanding markets; and
- Supporting targeted collaborative research programs that are demand-driven by industry stakeholders.
What were the Outcomes of AIC Innovation Clinics?
Stimulating technology receptiveness between the research community, government, SMEs and end-users enable participating parties to:
- Determine which R&D projects should be pursued;
- Identify long-term, flexible portfolio of R&D priorities;
- Identify appropriate parties to participate in research and commercialisation activities.
View the 2010 AIC Innovation Clinic brochure.
In 2010, the AIC commissioned an independent report which quantified Innovation Clinic's value to the Australian economy.
The AIC has conducted a range of Innovation Clinics (components of the AIC Industry Innovation Framework):
AIC Industry Innovation Framework Case Studies:
AIC Innovation ClinicŪ Case Studies:
- How can we develop environmentally friendly, economically viable solutions to manage agricultural plastic waste?
- How can off-grid renewable energy solutions support business in remote areas?